Thursday, September 18, 2014

[ << prev ] [ next >> ]
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Tuesday, Feb 26th, 2013.
8252/board_568745510_715.gif

© California Department of Education Each set of released test questions (RTQs) is representative of the various content areas measured by items on the California Standards Tests (CSTs). The documents listed below contain RTQs taken from portions of the CSTs from 2003 through 2008. Funding to annually add additional RTQs to the available sets of RTQs was eliminated from the state budget beginning with the 2009 Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program test administration .

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Friday, Jan 4th, 2013.

"People around the world have been celebrating the start of each new year for at least four millennia. Ever wondered who made the first resolutions or what traditional dishes to serve at your New Year's Eve bash?" Get your questions answered http://www.history.com/news/new-years-history-festive-facts?cmpid=INT_Outbrain_HITH_HIS&obref=obnetwork

If you would like ideas to help your child set healthy and attainable resolutions, the following New Year tips are from the American Academy of Pediatrics: http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/news-features-and-safety-tips/pages/Healthy-New-Year-Resolutions-for-Kids.aspx

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Friday, Nov 30th, 2012.

Family Business Quarterly The objective of Banana Moments: Family Business Quarterly is to help parents rise above the noise and the fray of the daily, weekly, monthly press of information and life's stresses of family business. Banana Moments offers insights and inspiration to reinforce your own family values and help you lead children in this network culture that pressures all of us with things that don't really matter and are largely not true.

Banana Moments: Family Business Quarterly is commercial free.

http://bananamoments.com/resources/

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Sunday, Nov 25th, 2012.
8252/board_1424193801_698.jpg

Would you like to make the holidays a little brighter for an EUSD child and their family?

The Ridgeview Giving Tree is decorated with festive gift tags just waiting to be claimed.

The Giving Tree is located in the RV School Office. Office hours are 8:15am-4:15pm M-F. The RV Office Staff are more than happy to help you with directions for The Giving Tree.

Thank you for making someone else's holiday, happier, warmer, and more fun. If you would like more information please call the school office 791-3477

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Monday, Nov 5th, 2012.

Vehicle Safety Parents and other adults can do much to improve traffic safety around schools by driving cautiously, teaching children safe practices, and limiting vehicle trips. In some cases, parents and other drivers may be the cause of safety concerns.

• Drivers should obey all traffic laws and apply the following practices.
  • Carpooling can reduce the number of vehicles near the school, especially during poor weather.
  • Make sure children are careful in opening the vehicle doors and that they exit and enter on the curbside of the vehicle.
  • Children should not be allowed to cross the street in the middle of the block to reach the vehicle.
  • Drivers should not double park or block traffic.
  • Waiting or parking in red zones is also not allowed.
  • Do not block buses or use areas designated for buses only. If an emergency vehicle requires access, the area should be cleared.
  • Never leave a vehicle unattended in a loading zone.
  • Do not park within a crosswalk or pass a stopped vehicle which is allowing pedestrians to cross.
  • Do not violate the law by using the excuse "I will just be here a minute" when picking up or dropping off children.
  • Violations still present a danger and cause congestion during the time of day when it is most important to provide safety for children and avoid congestion.
  • Learn the traffic patterns at the school and avoid being a disruption.
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Sunday, Nov 4th, 2012.

Here are some ideas for how you can get the most out of your parent-teacher conferences this year.

• Talk to your child before the conference. Ask your child what he or she would like you to discuss at the meeting.
  • Find out beforehand if the teacher wants the student to attend the conference with you.
  • Ask questions. Come to the conference with a list of questions regarding your child's academic and social issues, as well as questions about the teacher's philosophy. Some good questions to ask may include:
    • What are my child's areas of strength and areas of concern?
    • What can I do to extend my child's learning at home?
    • Is my child working up to his or her ability? If not, what can we do to change that?
    • How do you assess my child's learning?
    • How do you challenge my student if he or she is excelling? How can you support my child if he is falling behind?
    • What is your homework policy?
  • Share information about your child. Teachers need your help as they educate your children. No one knows your child better than you. The more you share about your child as it relates to the educational setting, the better the teacher will successfully meet his or her needs.
  • If you have a concern, please be sure to discuss it. Plan ahead of time how you will raise an issue of concern. When expressing concerns be tactful, but thorough .
  • Listen to what the teacher has to say in response to the concern. Then work together to find a solution.
  • Take notes during the conference so that you can review and discuss key points with your child at home.
  • Make the most of your time. Conferences are usually scheduled for 20-30 minutes.
  • Arrive on time.
  • Try not to bring babies or young children to the meeting as they can cause distractions.
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Wednesday, Oct 3rd, 2012.

Success at School Improve Writing

Skills When it comes to writing assignments, ADHD students may have an overflow of creative ideas, but often struggle to get these ideas onto paper. to know more... http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe6116797364007f7117&m=fef016767c6c02&ls=fdc715717d63017d741c727365&l=fe8e15787362067e72&s=fdef15727d610d7b7410737c&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe281774766c007d701276

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Friday, Aug 24th, 2012.
Thank you everyone, you have made this such a wonderful start to the school year!

Thank you for attending the New family Orientation, CAN and BTSN. We are so fortunate to work with you and have the opportunity to educate your children. And all the volunteers stepping up with their time, donations, supplies, and ideas well you are just so appreciated there are not enough words.

Thank you to the amazing RV teachers and staff. As I walk through your classrooms and see the enthusiasm, genuine care and concern you show fro every student, it makes me so proud to work alongside of you. I know all the work you put in behind the scenes to create a rigorous, fun learning experience for your students. I see your cars here early in the morning, late at night and on the weekends too! You make it look easy, but that is because of all you do in planning when no one is looking.

Thank you students! You make Ridgeview School the happiest place to be! I see how hard you are working in the classrooms, I hear the laughter and joy on the playground, your singing during Friday lunch is just a delight! I hear all your kinds words, and I see students helping students.

I am proud to be the principal of Ridgeview School!
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Friday, Jun 15th, 2012.

Are we hurting our children by constantly telling them how smart and great they are?
By Todd Huffman

"She's so advanced!" beams the proud parent. "He's just so smart!" boasts the doting grandmother.

So goes another day in the Lake Wobegon land of a pediatric office, where all the children are above average.

read more...http://special.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/opinion/25315084-47/smart-failure-intelligence-kids-praise.csp

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Sunday, May 20th, 2012.
8252/board_74526033_606.jpg

Greetings! Please find below (via the link) and the attached PDF, the 2012 Spring Edition of Banana Moments: Family Business Quarterly. http:// bananamoments.com /bmblog/youth-suicide-resiliency-and-relating-in-the-net/ This edition features what youth suicide teaches us about resiliency, relating and hope for the future. Also introducing a new talk show about the issues facing children and families in a podcast called Three Moms and A Mike (my friend Dave Lema is "the Mike" expressing the Dad's point of view). Check it out and let me know what you think. The content that used to be in the text of the email, has been loaded into a web-page to make it easier for all email formats/devices to access the links to resources. If you have any difficulty accessing the link above, or the attached PDF with the spring edition articles, let me know.

Joanna Joanna Jullien Banana Moments

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Monday, May 7th, 2012.

By Diana Lambert dlambert@sacbee.com Published: Monday, May. 7, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 2B Last Modified: Monday, May. 7, 2012 - 7:45 am Eureka Union School District will hold a "21st Century Expo" at 6 p.m. May 21 in the gym shared by Oakhills and Ridgeview elementary schools at 9177 Twin Schools Road in Granite Bay. The expo will introduce community members to the district's Challenge 21 program. The program focuses on "21st century skills" like critical thinking, collaboration and character development, according to a news release from the district. Families interested in the Project Lead the Way program can hear more about it at an informational meeting at 5:30 p.m. The program offers a rigorous science, technology, engineering and math curriculum. The district will offer the program to eighth-grade students at both Cavitt and Olympus junior high schools next school year. The expo is being held as the district is accepting inter-district transfers for next school year. For more information, to to www.eurekausd.org or call Heidi Williams, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction, at (916) 791-4939.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/07/4470718/critical-thinking-program-unveiled.html#storylink=cpy

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Sunday, May 6th, 2012.
Please, please drive safely when dropping off and picking up your children from school. We have had some very near misses in vehicles coming close to hitting pedestrians, CHILDREN, lately. Please stay off of your cell phones while driving, do not drive in the bike lane, DO come to a complete stop at all STOP signs, and always give pedestrians the right of way. I have asked the Sheriff's Department to help with traffic control, but resources are limited. Please do your part in keeping our children safe. It is better to be a few minutes late to work than risk a child's life.
Remember, Ridgeview students may be dropped off beginning at 8:50am.
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Monday, Apr 16th, 2012.

Sixth grade staff can hardly wait to spend a fun-filled, week with your child during Outdoor Education Science Camp next October! Adult Counselors are responsible for a cabin of 6 or 7 students. You will participate alongside students, as you are led by teachers on hikes through the Armstrong Redwood forest, visit ocean tide pools, sing campfire songs, eat delicious meals, and so much more.

Camp is October 8-12, 2012.

There is a mandatory counselor training workshop Tuesday, September 25th 6:00-8:00pm at Ridgeview School.

We need a minimum of 16 dads and 16 moms to volunteer for this very important role. For more detailed information, please download the attachment.

Interested parents, must submit their application by Wednesday, April 18th. I hope you consider attending with your child, it is an opportunity of a lifetime!

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Wednesday, Mar 28th, 2012.

Submitted by I.K., Student Principal for the Day:

In Ridgeview elementary school we have a variety of playing equipment, kind teachers, and friendly students. The equipment that we have here are basketballs, soccer balls, jump ropes, hula-hoops, and footballs. The teachers are very kind and will try their best to help you understand any concept. When I first went to Oakhills, I didn't know anybody there so I was scared. Then, the teacher introduced me to the kids but i still didn't feel comfortable so I went to recess with a kid named Jayden. By the next day, I felt a lot more comfortable and I had a blast. Jayden and I are still good friends. I talked about Oakhills but Ridgeview is the exact same but even better. The kids will teach you any rules of a game that you may wish to play. But the education is what really makes this school stand out. The education is excellent and you learn everything that you would need in life. For example using percentages. If something said 20% off but you wanted to know the real price, you would learn how to do that in less than 10 seconds. Some extracurricular activities are band, Spanish, and P.E. We even have a computer lab and the computers are Macbooks! All in all Ridgeview is an awesome school.

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Tuesday, Mar 20th, 2012.
8252/board_103512952_594.jpg

More than 2 million poisonings are reported each year to the 57 poison control centers across the country. More than 90 percent of these poisonings occur in the home. The majority of non-fatal poisonings occur in children younger than six years old. And, poisonings are one of the leading causes of death among adults. Follow these tips to help prevent poisoning in your home: Medicines: Keep medicines in their original containers, properly labeled, and store them appropriately. Carbon monoxide (CO): Have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home. The best places for a CO detector are near bedrooms and close to furnaces. Household products: Keep products in their original containers. Do not use food containers (such as cups or bottles) to store household cleaners and other chemicals or products. Food: Wash hands and counters before preparing all food. Store food at the proper temperature. Refrigerated foods should not be left out at temperatures above 40 degrees F (5 degrees C). Animals/insects: Know what poisonous snakes live in your area (rattlesnakes) and wear proper attire (boots, etc.) when hiking outdoors. Plants, mushrooms and berries: Be sure that everyone in your family can identify poisonous mushrooms and plants. Remember when it comes to poison oak, "leaves of three, let it be." When accidents happen with chemicals, medicine, or household items, call Poison Help @ 1-800-222-1222. Get help right away from a local poison expert. Keep the number in your cell phone contacts list for handy reference. Remember, if someone is unconscious or has trouble breathing, call 9-1-1. Lynda Farley, RN and Linda Shank, RN Eureka USD School Nurses

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Tuesday, Feb 7th, 2012.
Thank you to all the parents, students, relatives, and friends who attended last Friday's ESF Art Auction and Music Event. It was well attended and I had fun seeing so many of you there. Thank you for taking time to come out and enjoy the event.

The Ridgeview Choir sounded amazing. Students were all so cute in their tye dye clothes, sunglasses, and even a few wigs! Beatlemania was alive and never sounded better. Thank you Mrs. Houston for planning such a fun musical performance.

Each class contributed a unique piece of work. Thank you students for being so amazing. Thank you parent volunteers who helped create these works of art, your hours of support and talents make all the difference. Thank you staff for all your support as well, I couldn't work with a better group of professionals.

Thank you ESF for being so involved in supporting and maintaining high quality programs for all EUSD students by holding events such as the Art Auction.

But wait, there's more:

ESF Night with the Rivercats May 12th and the 5K Fund Run on May 20th.

The Annual Giving Campaign is now underway too. Contribution envelopes are available in the office....
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Sunday, Jan 8th, 2012.

I hope everyone has had a restful, enjoyable Winter Break and is ready for the new year. Many folks make New Year's Resolutions, which is a great way of setting goals.

My Master's Thesis was how on how help student's set and attain goals; The Need for Student's to Learn Goal-Setting Techniques, University of La Verne. Although, typed 'back in the day'when we still used typewriters, the information is still relevant today.

I would like to take this opportunity to share some of the main ideas of my thesis:

"I am responsible for what I see. I choose the feelings I experience, and I decide upon the goal I would achieve. And everything that seems to happen to me, I ask for, and I receive as I have asked." Gerald G. Jamplosky, M.D.

1. If a person utilizes goal-setting techniques, he can reduce the stress of being a student and take more control of his educational experience.

2. Success is defined as the attainment of any given goal, set by the student, which produces a positive effect on his well-being, happiness, and education.

3. Those who take control of their lives and decide for themselves the direction they want their lives to take, are motivated goal-setters.

4. Any student, regardless of physical or academic ability, socioeconomic or demographic situation can benefit from goal-setting.

You must want to cause a change.

A Student's Guide:

1. Define a goal in precise terms (the student should be able to paraphrase the goal specifically).
  2. Clearly state the goal-setting process.
  3. Put the goal-setting process into personal use.
  4. Keep a diary of your goal, the process, and the outcome of that process.
  5. Evaluate the terminal behavior as successful or unsuccessful in obtaining your goal. (Remember: Success is defined as the attainment of any given goal, set by the student, which produces a positive effect on his well-being, happiness, and education.)

Thank you for allowing me to share my insights and experiences as it relates to helping students be successful in their goal-setting process.

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Monday, Oct 3rd, 2011.
8252/board_132407548_485.jpg

Thank you for supporting Ridgeview School through participating in the Box Tops program.

Our goal this year is to raise $1,500 for technology support.

During September's Box Tops for Education Extravaganza we earned $738.60!

The Extravaganza is over, but we collect Box Tops all year long. Please continue to cut them out and send them in to school.

Congratulations to the 3 top collecting classes:

4th Grade - Mrs. Martin's class: 433 Box Tops

5th Grade - Mrs. Kinloch's class: 1,008 Box Tops

6th Grade - Mrs. Ashby's class: 1,130 Box Tops

THANK YOU, Mrs. Young for organizing and running this worthwhile event!

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Wednesday, Sep 21st, 2011.

This is a Spare The Air advisory Today and Tomorrow are Spare The Air days.

Wednesday, Sep 21: 154 AQI - Unhealthy (Ozone)

Thursday, Sep 22: 154 AQI - Unhealthy (Ozone)

Drivers in the Sacramento region are asked to reduce driving or not drive at all during this period of unhealthy air quality.

Carpool to sports and recreation activities, bike or walk in the morning hours when pollution levels are low, postpone errands or take the bus and light rail.

Free Transit in the Sacramento Region on Spare The Air Days Auburn Transit, Lincoln Transit, Placer County Transit and Roseville Transit:

http://www.pctpa.org or call (530) 823-4030 Yolo Bus and Unitrans: http://www.yolobus.com or http://www.UNITRANS.com North Natomas TMA Shuttle: http://www.northnatomastma.org To monitor Current Conditions, visit http://www.SpareTheAir.com. Calculate your Air Quality To find a carpool partner, visit http://www.sacregion511.org or call 511.

At Ridgeview School we limit students' physical activity on Spare the Air days. This includes, but is not limited to: allowing students to have ample drinks of water, limited PE activities, indoor PE (either in the MPR or the classrooms).

What can parents do?

1. Carpool.
  2. Allow your students ride the bus, walk or ride their bikes or scooters.
  3. Be sure to send water bottles with your children so they can stay hydrated.
  4. If you are in a parked car, do not leave the engine running.

All of these are helpful ways to help reduce emissions. 

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Wednesday, Sep 7th, 2011.
8252/board_821120330_456.gif

School Picture Day is here!

Ridgeview and Oakhills Schools have contracted with a different photography company for our fall and spring school pictures this year. Ultimate Exposure has been in operation in the Granite Bay area since 1987.

Some of you may already be familiar with their work. They take the GBHS Senior Portraits, EUSD junior high athletics and graduation photos, as well as many other local athletic team and league photos.

Ultimate Exposure took Ridgeview's 6th Grade Panoramic photo last spring and will do so again this year.

Their high quality digital photography process provides the ability to check poses on the spot and guarantees great expressions every time.

Students will receive their photo packages within 3 weeks of picture day.

Attachment:
 Ultimate Exposure

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Friday, Aug 19th, 2011.

This first week was our best first week yet! Thank you to everyone for being a part of our success.

Back to School Night is Wednesday, August 24th. This is a parents only meeting.  

• Orientation - MPR 5:45pm - this is a brief overview of Ridgeview School.  If you attended the New Parent Orientation, you do not need to attend this one too.  I hope you can join me during this time.
  • Classrooms - 6:30-7:30pm - This is a chance to meet your child's teacher and get an overview fo their classroom ploicies, procedures, events, curriculum and so much more.  There should be time for questions and answers from parents.
  • Outdoor Ed Parent Night 7:30 - 8:30pm MPR - This is for 6th grade parents.  Important information is shared:  an overview of Our=tdoor Ed. Science camp, dates, fees, medical information etc.  Please stay the extra time to attend this very important meeting.

Parking is available at Feist Park, on the street, main school parking lot, as well as on the balck top.

See you Thursday!

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Wednesday, Jul 27th, 2011.
I hope you have all had a wonderful, fun-filled summer. I am excited to be back and looking forward to seeing all of you.

The school office opens to the public on August 4th. Office hours are 8:15am-4:15pm.

There is an orientation meeting on August 11th, 1:30-2:30pm. This is intended for parents of all incoming 4th grade students and students new to RV 5th or 6th grades. Attendees get a sneak peek at the Back to School Night Principal's information. This is a good time to ask questions, tour the campus, and meet other new families. Classrooms will not be open for visiting on this day, but many are open during CAN on the 15th. Coffee and light snacks are available. If you are not able to attend this event, I present the same information at Back to School Night.

August 15th, PTC hosts Class Assignment Night. Please try to attend and turn in your completed PTC packet. While here, you have the opportunity to purchase student planners and order spirit wear. Students who participate in CAN are able to find out their teacher before posting time.

Families unable to attend CAN are able to find out their teachers when class lists are posted at 6:30pm, following CAN, on the library window.

August 16th is the first day of school for students. Traffic is usually exceptionally heavy this day so please plan ahead so your child(ren) arrives on time. You may park at Feist Park, on Twin Schools Road or Elmhurst, or in the main parking lot. Staff appreciate your not parking in the staff parking lot.

The school office opens August 2nd, the hours are 8:15-4:15. Please call or come by if you have any questions and we would be happy to help you.

See you soon!
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Wednesday, May 4th, 2011.

Banana Moments:Help for Parenting in the Network Culture

Greetings Parents and Educators! For this Spring 2011 edition of Banana Moments: Family Business Quarterly I chose The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Make Friends (2003), by Natalie Madorsky Elman, Ph.D., and Eileen Kennedy-Moore, Ph.D. Published prior to the advent of social media (Facebook and MySpace) and texting as ubiquitous applications in our homes, this book originally appealed to parents of children who were on the fringe, perhaps struggling to develop friendships. In today's cyber-powered world, the art of relationships is fast fading because in cyber-powered communities superficial connections can easily pose as "relationships" and children do not always witness the impact on others of what they text and post; there is an insulation from others than can make us more like "bulls in a china shop". The increasing intensity and predominance of cyberbullying in our children's lives, starting as early as age eight, typifies how the fundamentals of social skills and civility are generally lacking. Elman and Kennedy-Moore offer simple reminders of "all the things we need to know we learned in Kindergarten" (which is needed today more than ever).

Inside This Edition:

• 'Friending' fundamentals
  • Response to anxiety in the network culture
  • Growing up too fast: How sexy is too sexy for your child?
  • Creating friendship in the cyber wilderness
  • Connecting with teens: ICE
  • Unwritten friendship rules for the Vulnerable Child
  • Race to Nowhere? How does the achievement culture of the American education system impact your family?

Posted by Patrice McCallum on Friday, Apr 29th, 2011.

Hopefully you are aware that State testing is May 2-6.

Here is a very informative and helpful website from the CA Dept. of Education: 

http://starsamplequestions.org/welcome.html

Also, please check the EUSD website for more information:

http://www.eureka-usd.k12.ca.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=8202&  

Ways to Help Your Child Prepare for Tests

To help children prepare adequately for tests, you can do several things to provide support and create a positive test-taking experience.

1. Keep the morning routine as stress free as possible.
  2. Make sure that your child is in school during the testing sessions. Do not plan any doctor or dental appointments on test dates.
  3. Encourage your child to listen carefully to all test-taking directions given by the teacher and to ask questions about any directions that are unclear.
  4. See that your child gets his/her regular amount of sleep before the tests and is well-rested.
  5. Make sure that your child eats his/her usual breakfast on the day of the test. Hunger can detract from a good test performance.
  6. Encourage your child to do his/her best.
Posted by Patrice McCallum on Wednesday, Mar 30th, 2011.

Oh my gosh, where does the time go? I love the school year, we are always getting ready for something, while we are winding down something else!

Attached here (and in the e-Wednesday folder) is the 2011-2012 Enrollment Confirmation form. Please take a few minutes to complete the form and return it to your child's teacher by April 15th.

Having this information helps us to be able to staff appropriately for the next school year. Getting the information early really helps start that process.

Some parents have already been asking about Parent Input forms. These are available in the school office beginning April 27th and are due back by May 19th. Please keep in mind when that time comes we cannot/do not accept teacher requests. More information will be given at that time, first we need to know how many students are returning to Ridgeview School.

Thanks so much (in advance) of your attention in this matter.

[ << prev ] [ next >> ]